Sur les traces d'Edward Thomas

"This is the record of a journey from London to the Quantock Hills - to Nether Stowey, Kilve, Crowcombe, and West-Bagborough, to the high point where the Taunton-Bridgwater road tops the hills and shows all Exmoor behind, all the Mendips before, and upon the left the sea, and Wales very far off. It was a journey on or with a bicycle. The season was Easter."
Edward Thomas, In Pursuit of Spring, 1913.

mercredi 4 avril 2012

Chatter chatter chatter

We are now in Bridgwater.
Early in the morning, in "a garden stored with pease and mint and thyme", we had eggs with a bright orange yolk.
Then we left in the drizzle.
Lost in the Mendips...
Detours. No straight roads except B and A roads but we avoid them...
Mary is very good at finding routes. As for me, when I am cycling I am cycling. I don't look much around. I find it difficult do two things at the same time.
Pinapple cottage cheese is definitely the best one.
We rode through peat fields. Dark heaps and strange smells.
The sun came out suddenly at 2pm, but disappeared at 3pm never to reappear.
I am still sunburnt from the two first days, my cheeks are red as ruddy clover.
We rode down narrow roads, we even cycled in the grass at some point -- but this led nowhere.
I hate bends in the roads, I rely on my compass. The straighter the better.

There are seagulls in Bridgwater! We are not far from the sea.
Apparently there is snow in Manchester, and the weather forecast says there could be snow here too. It is very cold, but we're not camping tonight.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire