Sur les traces d'Edward Thomas

"This is the record of a journey from London to the Quantock Hills - to Nether Stowey, Kilve, Crowcombe, and West-Bagborough, to the high point where the Taunton-Bridgwater road tops the hills and shows all Exmoor behind, all the Mendips before, and upon the left the sea, and Wales very far off. It was a journey on or with a bicycle. The season was Easter."
Edward Thomas, In Pursuit of Spring, 1913.

vendredi 6 avril 2012

A sense of joy

I woke up from a deep and sound sleep without dreams. Max the dog was there to say hello ;).
We ate very good porridge with Paul and Mary. Porridge is good fuel for cyclists. With treacle and strawberries and mango yoghurt.
I started at 9am with better-inflated tyres. [Paul has a truing stand at home. Some day I will have one too].
Paul caught up with me driving to give me back the raincoat I had forgotten (thank you so much, I really needed it). When he found me I was trying to fix a gear problem and we tightened the cable. It was ok. (I tightened it a bit more when I arrived in Exeter and it was even better, I hope it will last.)
The road from Minehead to Exeter was sheer delight. Just the right weather, dry and cold and sunny.
This morning the Exe was a tiny stream... now it is a mighty river!
I ate an (cold) Easter cross bun just after a steep hill at the beginning... An Easter cross bun is what you need at the top of a hill.
Bike = will-powered machine.
A place on the road cold "Black Cat crossing" with a striking signpost.
Tiverton, beautiful castle, friendly people, I bought olives and pickled garlic and orange fudge to bring to Exeter.
Tiverton, between Minehead and Exeter

The Blue Boy 
Arrived in Exeter quite early and cycled around in a very happy mood.
I found an improbable Kindle charger. Then I walked pushing my bike for some time and sat in front of the cathedral, idle all for very joy. Then I set about to tighten my gear cable a bit more and true my wheel (I wanted to tighten the brakes which were slightly loose), which took about an hour. As it was getting darker, the streets quickly emptied, though it was only 4.30pm.
Bike and Exeter Cathedral

Then Pete came and we chatted and drank a hot chocolate and it was really nice. Maybe tomorrow we will cycle together for a while.
I am now at Sus and Mike's house who have an amazing flat by the river and fantastic stories to tell about cycling in Australia ;).
Going to Ottery Saint Mary... and further I hope.
Sun, please stay with me tomorrow and the days after.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire