Sur les traces d'Edward Thomas

"This is the record of a journey from London to the Quantock Hills - to Nether Stowey, Kilve, Crowcombe, and West-Bagborough, to the high point where the Taunton-Bridgwater road tops the hills and shows all Exmoor behind, all the Mendips before, and upon the left the sea, and Wales very far off. It was a journey on or with a bicycle. The season was Easter."
Edward Thomas, In Pursuit of Spring, 1913.

dimanche 1 avril 2012

"I love a public road"

I arrived in London at 10am or so. I fetched my bike from the registered luggage service, and was happy that nothing had happened to it.They tried to give me a lock that was not mine, I said no, thanks, I don't have a key for this one. My [spontaneous] spoken English is quite rusty.
We rode from London to Puttenham by Clapham, Epsom, Leatherhead, Dorking.

In London
"Hey girls where are you going?"
"Somerset!"bike
"Waoh, and where did you start?"
"..."

Getting out of London in no fun. I hoped that Sunday would be ok, but there are many cars. Riding "mid the din of towns and cities" hoping for something else to come.
"Minor adjustments" (Mary): my bike is in constant need of minor adjustments. The map-reader I designed is quite convenient but needs to be safely secured to my front pannier, otherwise the wind blows against it. Photocopied maps are really handy. Real maps are heavy and don't fold easily. Our maps are quite precise, even though all small roads are not shown upon it.
I wasn't sure about my pedals, either... [I thought they might be loose, I had tightened them with a small spanner.] But now everything seems ok.

We rode up a hill near Box Hill and it was beautiful! Great vineyard.


We asked people for a place to pitch our tent, so they lent us a patch of grass in their garden and a big rug. It is cold.
Glorious weather
We are happy

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire